Monday, February 16, 2009

Each to his own

Although he acted as bag drop at Quiltfest Dennis did not look at what I was buying ,preferring to read and listen to music on his MP3 and drink coffee. (Who says men cannot multi-task?) When we got home the rugby was about to kick off. Then he wanted to watch the cup draw. So by the time I got to show off all my pretty things I was fit to burst.

He managed to look fairly engaged at the perle threads and the sketchbooks. He was actually quite fascinated with the bead sticks. But, when I cane to explain how the Jones Tones glue was particularly recommended by Linda Kemshall for foiling techniques, he got a look. You know - a look.

"What?"

"Nothing."

"You've got a look."

"Well, its glue. I was just wondering how you can get excited about glue."
Then today the postman arrived. He came bounding upstairs all excited with his new book. A heavy tome with no pretty pictures of distressed chiffon at all. I read the cover. The Landmark of Thucydides - A History of the Peloponesian Wars.

"What? " he says.

"Nothing." He diappears and comes back with another hefty volume.

"Look, it's the sequel to The Landmark - Herodotus. The Histories. Igot them from New York. I'm really into the Pelopenesian wars now. What?"

"Glue."

Pause.

"Ok. Fair point."


He really is excited though:



3 comments:

Donna said...

yup. to each his own....

Margeeth said...

Oh look at that picture, the look on your husbands face is priceless! His 'allowing' you to post a picture on your blog is also priceless. I have a picture of my DH with a similar expression on his face, building a shovel of technical lego I gave him for his fortieth birthday, but he does not want that on my blog. Period.

magsramsay said...

Oh how I related to this (given the hundreds of military history books my husband has) I made the mistake of telling him about this post and I've now surrouded by books which he thinks Dennis might like on the same theme including:
'A war Like no Other ' by Victor Davis Hanson,
'The Peloponessian War' - a Military Study by J F Lazenby
'Warfare and Agriculture' in Classical Greece by Victor Davis Hanson
Apparently this latter one describes the difficulties in destroying olive groves very well.
No comment!