Saturday, May 31, 2008

Tatton park

Today was just glorious so we went to sun ourselves at Tatton Park - no point having a statley pile within a reasonable drive if you don't go and sit in the gardens and pretend to be Lady of The Manor every now and again.

At the moment they have an art exhibition around the gardens. I was much taken with the shapes in this 'blobule' - a wooden hut in which a woman who was not allowed to speak served free herbal tea ( strange but wonderful!)

The slats remind me of the Nigerian Egungun costumes I am using as a basis to design my City and Guilds bag. However, I was also taken by the scarecrows, who are not part of the art exhibition but just as good. And ripe for applique, no?

That last one with the face looked so much like a mad music teacher that it made me think - wouldn't it be fun to make the scarecrows like famous people - who is for a raggedy George Bush on a stick?

3 comments:

Erica Spinks said...

What a wonderful garden - my fantasy vegetable garden looks just like that! Love the Blobule - aren't the shapes interesting? Thanks for showing us, Helen.

Unknown said...

I love the can scarecrow and the blobule!

Christine Thresh said...

I've never seen a 'blobule' but I'd like to have one in my yard.